This consists of performing scores and partbooks for the lute ensemble repertoire, both ancient (Vallet, Pacoloni, Adraienssen, Terzi and Thysius) and modern (arranged by Stewart McCoy, Jacques Tranier, Mike Ashley, Ian Gaskell, and others from the old Consort of Musicke library, in Chris Wilson’s loan library of scores); music quickly and easily accessible for events such as the Lute Society's Lutefest, and which can be sent in the post or as PDFs to anybody who wants to organise a playing day. Many thanks to the above contributors – and to David Protheroe for a newly composed set of pieces for a ‘Vallet’ ensemble.
At present the scores in the library, which members may freely borrow, are as follows. Some of these are commercially available, and while sets of partbooks are by definition not just for one person to play from we would urge you to buy your own copies of those where a publisher is indicated. But quite a few of these are ‘not available in the shops’.
1. Piccinini Canzona a tre Liuti Plus two trios from Adriaenssen, for lutes in A, G, bass D.
2. Two Canzone by Banchieri, arr. Mike Ashley Plus Morales, Kyrie, for lutes in G, G, G.
3. Lute Trios for Equal Lutes arr. Ian Gaskell, for lutes in G, G, G.
4. Four Attaingnant dances arr. Jacques Tranier, for easy lutes in G, G, G, G.plus Morales, Kyrie, for six easy (single line) lutes in G, G, G, G, G, G.
5 and 6. Dowland Trios arr. Stewart McCoy, for lutes in G, G, bass D plus two easy parts ad lib for G lutes (which can be played as a simple duet).
7 and 8. Quartets ed. Ian Gaskell: two Waelrant quartets, for lutes in A, G, E, bass D (and voices ad lib), one Terzi quartet for two lutes in G and two in bass D, Vallet suite for lutes in d, A, G, bass D or c, G, F, bass C.
9 . Further ‘Vallet’ Quartets ed. Lynda Sayce, Anton Hoeger, J M Poirier, for ‘Vallet’ ensemble lutes in d, A, G, bass D or c, G, F, bass C.
10 . Six new ‘Vallet’ Quartets By David Protheroe, for ‘Vallet’ ensemble lutes in d, A, G, bass D or c, G, F, bass C.
11. Three renaissance vocal masterpieces (by G Gabrieli, Passereau) arr. Mike Ashley for lute quartet, for Lutes in A, G, G, bass D.
12. ‘Mostly Dowland’, Eight Trios arr. Ray Nurse, for lutes in G, G, bass D.
13. Thysius Quartets, for lutes in A, G/A, E bass D, or C, Bb/C, G, F, or G, F/G, bass D, bass C.
14. Tobias Hume, Trios from Poeticall Music, for lutes in G, G, and bass in staff notation.
15. Pacoloni Trios, for lutes in C, G, F or A, E, bass D or G, bass D, bass C.
16. Six assorted trios, for lutes in G, G, and bass D plus ad lib parts for cittern and bandora.
17. Seven assorted trios for three equal lutes for lutes in G, G, G.
18. Ten Easy dances from Attaingnant, du Tertre and Susato arr. Jacques Tranier, for easy lutes in G, G, G, and staff notation scores a4.
19. Guami, Canzona arr. Julian Creme for four lutes, for lutes in G, G, D, D.
20. Pacoloni Trios, ed. S Smith, in versions from the Castelfranco MS, for lutes in C, G, F or A, E, bass D or G, bass D, bass C.
21. Three duets arr. Jacques Trainier and Isabelle Villey, for lutes in G, G