For lute playing opportunities, see:
Lute society meetings are free for all to attend, although there is usually a charge if you wish to attend the recital at the end of the meeting.
Agendas from previous meetings are available.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are generally held at the Dutch Church, 7 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2HA (nearest tubes: Bank, Liverpool Street).
Saturday 13th May 2023 at the Dutch Church. (The weekend after the Coronation)
This meeting will feature a recital from Liz Kenny, a talk on the Albanian lute from Ardian Ahmedaja, ‘The 11-course liuto attiorbato’, a talk by Sebastian Kirsch, the Jacobides codex, a talk by Jan Cizmar, and a mini-recital from Angela Hicks and Toby Carr
No need to book - all welcome just turn up, and bring friends and family. The day is free, except for the final recital, tickets £13 including wine, tea, and home-made cake, on sale during the day, concessions on request.
If you are booking an advanced train ticket, our recitals usually end around 5.45 pm and always by 6 pm when we vacate the hall.
Details subject to change.
- Mar 9th-12th Benslow Lutefest, with Jakob Lindberg, Jacob Heringman, Lynda Sayce, Matthew Spring, Sara Stowe, and Sam Chapman
- May 13th Liz Kenny recital, talk on the Albanian lute from Ardian Ahmedaja, ‘The 11-course liuto attiorbato’, talk by Sebastian Kirsch, the Jacobides codex, talk by Jan Cizmar
- May 20th, AGM by Zoom conference, all welcome to participate.
- June 17th, summer party, Maidenhead
- Sept 9th Jonatan Bougt main recital and talk on the Düben collection in Uppsala, The Wartburg gittern of Hans Oth, talk by Thilo Hirsch, minirecital by Stuart Willis
- Nov 4th A history of fake lutes, talk by David van Edwards, women and the lute, talk and concert by Matthew Spring and Galliarda, talk on Englishwomen and the lute in 17th century by Sara Salloum, mini recital from Kristiina Watt and Madeleine de Berrie
- Nov 9th-11th Lute Society stall at London International Festival of Early Music, Blackheath
See a selection of pictures from meetings
We have an annual residential weekend, currently held at Benslow Music in Hitchin. We offer bursaries to students every year to attend. See some recent reflections and review for LuteFest 2020. The next Benslow Lutefest will be held on March 9th-12th 2023 with Jacob Heringman, Lynda Sayce, Matthew Spring, Sara Stowe, and two other teachers tba.
- March 25th, Zoom meeting of the Societa Italiana del Liuto
- April 1st-2nd, Societe Francaise de Luth, annual meeting, Chapelle Saint Thomas d'Aquin, 3 place St.Thomas d'Aquin, 75007 Paris, contact:
- April 8th, Zoom meeting of the Societa Italiana del Liuto
- May 4th, Zoom meeting of the Societa Italiana del Liuto
- May 21st-23rd Deutsche Lautengesellschaft meeting at Burg Sternberg, near Lemgo, Germany,
- September 16th, Raphael Mest lute conference and concert, Linkoping, Sweden, aquilacorde.com/Linkoping/.
- October 14-15, Italian lute society meeting, Roma
- October 15th Belgian lute day
- October, Grand Lute Festival, Rome, date tba
- November 18th, European Lute Orchestra concert, Prato
- November 26th-27th, Nederlands Luitvereiniging 40th anniversary celebration
Prompted by the Covid pandemic, in 2020 and 2021 we began to compile 'virtual meetings', which you can view online: