For lute playing opportunities, see:
Lute society meetings are free for all to attend, although there is usually a charge if you wish to attend the recital at the end of the meeting.
Agendas from previous meetings are available.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are generally held at the Dutch Church, 7 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2HA (nearest tubes: Bank, Liverpool Street).
Spring meeting, Saturday 10th May: Lord Herbert of Cherbury’s lute book
In anticipation of the publication of our colour facsimile of Lord Herbert of Cherbury’s lute book, our May meeting will celebrate and explore this, the last of the great English renaissance manuscripts, with talks and a feast of music, played by four noted lutenists. We are especially pleased to welcome from overseas, François-Pierre Goy, an authority on the lute music of this period, and for the first time at the Lute Society, Willem Mook, who will give the main recital.
- 10.30 Coffee and welcome to new members
- 11.00 An introduction to Herbert of Cherbury’s Lute Book, talks by François-Pierre Goy, John Robinson and Craig Hartley
- 12.30 Mini-recital of lute music from the Herbert of Cherbury’s Lute Book, by Martin Eastwell
- 1.00 Lunch
- 2.00 Annual General Meeting
- 3.00 Mini-recital ‘Lord Herbert’s Provenance’, by Richard Mackenzie
- 3.30 Mini-recital of lute music from the Herbert of Cherbury’s Lute Book, by Peter Martin
- 4.00 Tea
- 4.30 The Lute Society Recital: ‘The Noble Philosopher’s Lute: “Tis a grave and serious Musicke for modest and sober persons ...”’ by Willem Mook
Future meetings in 2014
September 13th, Italian day.
November 15th, Mace's dyphone, and more Italian music!
Pictures from recent meetings
See Pictures from meetings
Selected recordings from meetings
See Recordings from meetings