For lute playing opportunities, see:
Lute society meetings are free for all to attend, although there is usually a charge if you wish to attend the recital at the end of the meeting.
Agendas from previous meetings are available.
Unless otherwise noted, meetings are generally held at the Dutch Church, 7 Austin Friars, London EC2N 2HA (nearest tubes: Bank, Liverpool Street).
Autumn meeting, Saturday 15th November
COME, SEE AND HEAR THOMAS MACE’S LUTE DYPHONE — THE WONDER OF THE AGE!
Don’t miss this meeting! Over the years we have often dreamt of a reconstruction of one of the most extraordinary lutes of the 17th century, Thomas Mace’s ‘lute dyphone’. Now at last Italian luthier Antonio Dattis has built a copy—and it sounds great! It is being shipped to England specially for this meeting, and it may be many years before it comes here again—this may be your only chance to see and hear it. Davide Rebuffa will play a mini-recital on it, besides presenting his recently published history of the lute. Mimmo Peruffo makes a guest appearance to talk about the strings. We also welcome two lute song duos, Elena Cicinskaite and Marina Theodoropoulou, and Brian Wright with Jeni Melia, and we welcome one of the leading European players, Franco Pavan, to talk about the renaissance lutenists of his native Milan, and give a recital of the music of the great master of the early renaissance, Franco da Milano.
- 11.00 Coffee and welcome to new members
- 11.30 The Milanese lutenists, a talk by Franco Pavan
- 12.30 Mini-recital, Elena Cicinskaite and Marina Theodoropoulou perform lute songs
- 1.00 Lunch
- 2.00 Mini-recital Brian Wright and Jeni Melia perform Christmas carols in Brian Wright’s new arrangements
- 2.30 Mace’s Lute dyphone; a reconstruction, talk by Antonio Dattis, mini-recital by Davide Rebuffa, and talk on strings by Mimmo Peruffo.
- 3.45 A new history of the lute, a presentation by David Rebuffa
- 4.15 Tea
- 4.30 The Lute Society Recital, Franco Pavan plays music by Francesco da Milano
If you are booking an advance train ticket, our recitals usually end around 5.45 pm, and always by 6.00 pm, when we vacate the hall.
Future meetings in 2015
Pictures from recent meetings
See Pictures from meetings
Selected recordings from meetings
See Recordings from meetings