About the Lute Society
The Lute Society, now over 60 years old, exists to promote the lute and its music. Members get a new member's pack of 100 pages of lute music, a quarterly magazine, Lute News, with music supplement, an annual journal, The Lute, discounts on our growing range of publications and other benefits. Even if you can't make it to our meetings, playing days, and residential weekends in England, joining is an excellent way of building up your music library, and keeping in touch with other lute players, and with news in the lute world.
We are happy to retail our publications to non-members. The Society currently has around 1000 members.
As a member of the Lute Society you get
- A quarterly magazine, Lute News, with articles, news, views, CD reviews and competitions, and generous music supplements
- An annual scholarly journal, The Lute, with learned papers and book reviews
- Discounts on our rapidly growing list of publications
- A New Member's Pack, with over 100 pages of music in tablature
- Free small ads on the Lute Society website For Sale and Wanted page (see Small Ads)
We also have
- Quarterly meetings in London, with illustrated talks, and recitals by top professional performers
- Playing days in members' homes
- Lutes for hire (see hire-lutes)
- A picture library
- A microfilm collection
- President: David Van Edwards
- Chairmain: Luke Emmet
- Committee: Hubert Kwisthout, Eric Franklin, Luke Emmet, Alan Hoyle, Matthew Embleton, Gordon Gregory, Din Ghani, Zak Ozmo, Pat Glynn, John Reeve
- Secretary / Editor, Lute News: Christopher Goodwin
- Treasurer: David Protheroe
- Website Editor: Luke Emmet
- Editor, annual journal: Francis Knights
- Publicity Secretary: Hector Sequera
- Lute hire administrator: Christopher Goodwin
- Editorial subcommittee, annual journal: Michael Lowe, Tim Crawford, John Robinson, Peter Forrester, Matthew Spring, David van Edwards
- Internet correspondent: Stuart Walsh
- New CD listings, reviews co-ordinator: Monica Hall.
- General editor, music editions: Denys Stephens.
- Principal contributor to Lute News music supplements - honorary member John Robinson
- Microfilm librarian: John Reeve
Julian Bream, Dame Emma Kirkby, John Robinson, Anthony Bailes, Peter Lay and Donald Gill.
A copy of the society's constitution is available online.